Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Wellness Coaching

As of September, I will have worked where I am for two years. Over this time I have had the privilege of meeting and working on many amazing clients, getting to know them, and earning their trust. I've managed to fine tune not only my massage treatments but also things within my life that I have the ability to apply to my work life - like how my running, lifting and yoga passions teach me about an athletic client's specific needs and problem areas on a deeper level, how my sensitive gut has lead me to paleo-friendly food choices that I can recommend to clients, and how holistic approaches are always my go-to. Because of the athletic environment I work in, conversations during treatment naturally sway towards these topics, and I feel so energized when I am able to help clients through my personal experience and knowledge on more than just soft tissue work. I enjoy hearing about what people had for breakfast that day or what their work out entailed just as much as I enjoy the release of a stubborn knot in a muscle belly. And so, it became clear that Wellness Coaching was a natural thing for me to add to my massage profession.

The most exciting thing about this career addition is the endless options I have. Realistically, going grocery shopping with every client is not what I have in mind. I want my choices to emphasize my love of exercise, food, but most importantly - self love and emotional well-being. I want to help people take steps to find their true happiness, and let the exercise and good eating fall into place as a result of the self respect they will gain. Before I dive into this course and go at it with an unsteady plan, I first wanted to write out (for client's awareness and my own use) some ways I'd enjoy being a Wellness Coach, because after all, loving your job is an important factor in happiness, and I wouldn't be the best example if I began this new path by branching out in ways that are uncomfortable for me. So, I came up with a list of things I genuinely enjoy, and feel I could incorporate into client meetings.

Tea in the sunroom. This is one of my favorite things to do every afternoon, and where many Wellness Coaches seem to meet with people in their own homes, what better place to chat about goals and a healthier life than in my little room of sunshine while we sip tea or coffee? It would take something I enjoy doing for myself daily and add the bonus of helping people set and reach their health goals while sipping delicious tea.

Blogging. Well, since this is a blog, I suppose that one's a little obvious. I am fortunate to have gone through many of the wellness changes that I will be helping future clients achieve, and because of this I have the ability to share my personal successes through writing. I can share everything from the little things I do daily to incorporate health and happiness, to recipe ideas and work out routines. These are things I am already passionate and knowledgeable about, so why not write about them for other people's benefit? If I help one person try something new, that's great! If not, I know I will enjoy writing about it simple because I am passionate about them! Win-win.

Walk and talk. My mother, who is a psychologist, started a program with her clients when she was living in Maine that I always thought was a brilliant idea: instead of sitting in her sea-side apartment for sessions, they would have therapy while walking along the beach. This, I think, is something I would love to include. We are fortunate to live near a few small beaches, but also some beautiful trails and a bike path. Fresh air and exercise while creating a plan for life style change seems like a no-brainer to me.

Wellness Massage. I haven't quite figured out just how I want to do this, since like I previously stated, conversation naturally sways towards the topics of wellness already, but I would love to find a way to specifically have sessions that involve both soft tissue work and mental health. You'll have to stay tuned (or please share your opinions!) on this one.

All in all, I am excited for this new learning experience and hopes to help people become healthier and happier. Any thoughts or advice as I take on this new chapter are more than welcome!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to have gotten to know you at the beginning of this new endeavor as I know first hand that you're going to be amazing at it. People like myself, are searching for ways on how to truly live healthy (mind, body, spirit). You're knowledge, suggestions and support can transform generations and I look forward to working with you so not only myself, but my family can live healthier.

    ReplyDelete